Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Milestone

It is the best part of parenting each time your kid does something new. Not that they wouldn't have done it anyway but that you were there to support them during the process to get there.
Tonight I was totally moved by Owen's first reading of a book. Good old Hop on Pop by Dr. Suess. Owen sounded out each word and 70 percent of the time heard what he was reading. He was so excited that he could do it. That boy is smart but he always seems so surprised by what he can do. Then his confidence shoots right up and he is willing to try anything. So he took over and kept on reading all he could. Before discovering tonight that he could do it he wouldn't even try but now he has all the confidence he needs. I cannot wait to work on it more now and through the summer. I know he'll do that much better in kindergarten the more confident he is.

3 comments:

Holly said...

Awww, that's awesome! Wow, how great that he'll be able to read even before he gets to kindergarten!

Anonymous said...

That doesn't surprise me that Owen is reading. He has some pretty smart parents so it is in the genes. I am very proud of him and I know once he starts to read there will be no stopping him

Love,
Grandma

Grammy said...

Papa and I are so proud of you, Owen. When I get back from Florida, I would LOVE you to read me a story. If you can read when you go to kindergarden, your teacher will be very happy having you in his or her class. I love you!
Grammy